Friday, December 19, 2008

Resolutions

During the course of 2008 I listed on a piece of paper all the things that I wished to accomplish within the year or so:

1. Study to pass the GMAT in view of a master degree -> I did buy the books and even got my hands on my sister's algebra book. I enjoyed the first chapter and as soon as I was starting to understand the logic of the test I stopped.
TO BE DONE IN 2009.
2. Read business related articles to get ideas and inspiration and keep following the debate in International Relations -> I read some articles but I am still stuck on my professional development and maybe I should find inspiration somewhere else. I also downloaded lots of articles from International Security. Pity I saved them on the desktop and never got around reading them.
TO BE SERIOUS MATTER OF CONSIDERATION IN 2009
3. Taking a course in Japanese cooking -> I did find a website and even wrote an email to enquire about the possibility of starting the course but never got a reply. I also insisted a bit with the owner of a very special isakaya in Shibuya, I said I could wash up or help for free as long as I could see how they cook their amazing food but I got a 'uhmmmmmmmmmmm... Muzukashi ne'. TO BE CONTINUED IN 2009.
4. Visit Okinawa and Nikko -> Lots an lots of emails exchanged with travel agents, lots of last minute planning in view of long weekends but no concrete action.
TO BE DONE IN 2009 IF POSSIBLE.
5. Yoga and Pranic Healing: I read the book and did meditation a few times. I sent countless emails to 'certified teachers' in Japan but only got 2 replies and none of the them seemed to be interested in teaching me. Headquarters in Australia didn't help either.
SUBSTITUTED BY ZAZEN PRACTICE AND BUDDHAHOOD ASPIRATIONS
6. Volleyball -> Found a group of gaijin that meet once a week to play among themselves and got myself added to the mailing list. Unfortunately they play on a Saturday morning at 9am in Mita and I am way too lazy...
TO BE PURSUED IN 2009 (IF THEY CHANGE THE SCHEDULE)

Balance: ridiculously bad. I wonder if I'll have space for new propositions this New Year...

No comments: